Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Readings

So the first packet I read was the Attack of the Difficult Poems, and it was definitely an interesting one. I wasn't very fond of the how the writer wrote. However, it did have some good insight on how to read those difficult poems like the ones we read in the beginning of the semester. Especially in City Eclogue.  There was some language in here  that I was confused about but I still got the main points.

I thought the first two reasons she used when she was talking about hard poems were kind go cheesy and I don't necessarily think I have ever really thought those things to myself, the "why me" and self-blame. I realized that maybe those thoughts were directed towards writers possibly? I did like the point she made about how hard poems are normal and not abnormal. " 'Difficult' is very different from abnormal", that was a statement that made sense to me and I believe it is true! "Difficult poems are hard to read" is a very true statement and probably one of my favorites because I can relate. "Difficult poems are not popular" is also a statement I believe true, however I may be biased.

When she was talking about innovation, I thought where it said, "form follows not function but failure" is really cool. I think much more interesting content comes out of failures instead of trying to be perfect. Charles had a good point about how even though something looks minor on the outside of poetry, it is something major on the inside. And sometimes major things are just small and tedious. These are the points that stuck out to me the most because the made sense to me and I could relate to.

I thoroughly enjoyed reading the fiction packet with all the short stories. I really enjoy short stories because they can keep my attention. There were some styles that I like more than others, however. I think my favorite short story was 'Wallet' by Allen Woodman. It is what made the most sense to me and was a true short story in my eyes. It made me laugh which is important to me.

There were a few that I was not that interested in, however. Some were the 'Mystery Stories' by Sharon Krinsky. I know there is no such thing as a short story that is too short but these were just too short for my liking. I just didn't see the point in writing a few sentences and calling it a short story. Another one that I wasn't very fond of was 'The Letter From Home' by Jamaica Kincaid. It was almost like a list of everything she came in contact with or did, which can be a cool way of telling a story, but it just didn't click with me. The rest of the stories however were very good and kept me attention which is what I need.

No comments:

Post a Comment